Monday 24 March 2014

Five Good Things This Week

Nothing much this past week except for a wonderfully long and boring intensive statistics course. Such fun. Anyways, there was some good last week. The best is that I'm getting better at a routine that makes me much more efficient and I'm quite liking it! Onward and upwards we go!


1) I walked about 27 kilometers between last Monday and today, and that's only the times I specifically went for walks and recorded my time and kilometers. It's supposed to be nice weather all week so I'll hopefully get out everyday!
There are lots of paths to chose from and I quite liked this one, even if it did have some steeps hills. It weaves in and out of the forest, which is lovely. I didn't reach the end but I'll be trekking it again soon once it's less icy!
2) Even though yesterday was rainy, I still went with some friends up to Pyynikki for a walk on the rocks at Pyhäjärvi (one of the big lakes that straddles Tampere city center) then of course we went for the always necessary munkki at Pyynikin Näkötorni.

At the base of that little tower is doughtnutty gold

One of my favourite spots because it reminds me of where I grew up. Always go for a walk down here before getting munkki. The hike back up the stairs of doom will make it much more deserved. 
3) Like I mentioned earlier, I'm getting a better routine down. For the longest time my sleep schedule was all over the place and it drove me nuts because I would be getting up later in the day and I felt like I couldn't start anything because it was so late. I also used to just wake up fifteen minutes before I had to go catch the bus for class and I never had time for breakfast or waking up normally. Now I've managed to get to bed at decent times, before midnight, and wake up early enough to get my morning started slow before I have to start doing more important things. I got up early on Friday and managed to have breakfast, putter around on my computer, get some homework done, and go for a walk in the woods all before noon! It makes me feel so much more efficient, I love it!

Getting up early and not feeling tired means I can go to places like this and still have time to do everything else! 
4) Monday was St. Patrick's Day! I'm probably one of the few people in Finland that has enough Irish heritage to legitimately celebrate St. Patrick's Day. My mum's side of the family is part of a very large Irish clan that's been around for hundreds of years, but being Canadian I've got some other European heritage as well. I don't know much about my dad's side other than that they are very much from Newfoundland and a fair amount of people from Newfoundland have Irish background. Regardless of their Irishness, or lack there of, Finns still use St. Patrick's Day as an excuse to drink. There's an Irish pub in Tampere called O'Connell's that had a big St. Patrick's Day shindig that my friends and I went to for a few hours. It was basically like any other St. Patrick's celebration I've been to back in Canada; lots of drinking, lots Irish music, and lots of green.

Obligatory green cider. I usually drink beer or Lonkero, but Irish cider seemed to be the cheaper  way to go for St. Patrick's Day. This wasn't at O'Connell's, but at an English pub called Soho just two buildings over from O'Connell's that we went to beforehand. 
5) I wore my new bikini for the first time on Saturday, to sauna, and I didn't feel as self conscious as I thought I was gonna be. That probably has to do with feeling better about my body as a whole and being with friends that I feel aren't judgmental towards me. Yay for positive body image reinforcement!

That's it for the week. Like I said, nothing exciting, but such is life sometimes! I think I've got a pretty quiet week this week so hopefully I can spend most of it outside since we have wonderful weather!

This was less than a 24 hour period of the area I live in. We got a dump of snow then it all melted the next day.
Don't forget to follow me on Tumblr and Instagram!




No comments:

Post a Comment