Monday 17 March 2014

5 Good Things This Week

Apparently my week has gone from starting and ending on Sunday to starting and ending on Monday. Sunday nights are now being spent watching a television show with friends and I can't be bothered to write afterwards, before I go to bed. Annnnyways, on with five good things from the week. 


1) I dyed my hair. I've had various shades of purple hair, and loved it, for over two years. My screen name for every social media is in part due to my hair and I get identified a lot by my pastel purple/lilac hair. However, it is a pain to up keep. It fades/washes out quickly and I can't be that bothered to keep dying it every week or so. Monday was about the four month mark since I've done my roots (unfortunately, I was not born with purple hair and the blonde hair I was born with has now gone very dark.), so I decided to try something new with my colour as well. I said I'd never dye my hair all green or blue, but since I starting adding the green/blue streak in my hair, because it brought me one step closer to becoming my favourite Care Bear Cousin, Noble Heart Horse, I learned to like the look of those colours. Since I've got an array of hair dyes because I mix everything to get the colour I want, I had some green and blue to try out my new colour. I quite like the colour it turned out, even though I wanted it a bit more green, but the colour reminds me of the pretty mermaids in one of my favourite films, Hook starring Robin Williams. 




I love the purple hair colour that I've had for what seems like forever, but I really dig this colour, especially when my nature waves behave

2) I went to a concert on Tuesday night! Apocalyptica has been doing a Finnish tour with Avanti Chamber Orchestra. If you don't know/haven't heard Apocalyptica before, they are three cellists that became known for doing covers of Metallica songs. They have since carved out a spot in the music world for combining classical with rock and metal music to produce fantastic original work. I saw them about six years ago at a club in Toronto, and they were as amazing in 2014 as they were in 2008. Their collaboration with Avanti is stunning and they managed to make their songs even better. The only downside was that their light show was a bit overbearing at times, but, if the only thing bad about it was a slight headache, I'd say it was a success.
Still showstoppers after so many years listening to them


Absolutely gorgeous instrumental version of I Don't Care. The original features vocals by ex-Three Days Grace singer, and fellow Canadian, Adam Gontier. You can check out the other videos I took during the concert on my Youtube account. 

We discovered after the concert that you can get a bottle of wine for 10 euros. This is a big deal. 

3) Thursday and Friday were both bar nights, albeit early bar nights. My classmates and I went for drinks after a long day of class on Thursday and then on Friday we said goodbye to another classmate as he is leaving our program to pursue other dreams. 

4) I went on two nice long walks. Last Monday lead me on a new path, one that I most likely won't be taking again since I had to walk beside a busy road for about forty-five minutes. Today I took an old path to a small lake and it was extra nice because the sun decided to show itself today!
 The path around the lake

I haven't been here since September or October. It definitely looks different now!

5) Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were derby watching days! It was the first ever Men's Roller Derby World Championship, and boy was it a good one! Men's Roller Derby, or Merby as it is affectionately called (my friend Caitlin also loves that term so I had to mention it), is fairly new, I didn't even know that most countries had a team until this weekend, but you couldn't tell from the high level of athleticism that happened this weekend. Of course I was cheering for Canada and Finland, but I think I was cheering for Finland more than my own country. I pick Finland over Canada in this case because I actually have a connection with the Finnish team. If you didn't know already, I am involved with Tampere Roller Derby as a Non Skating Official (NSO). Tampere has two teams that have only women, the Tampere Rollin' Hos (the A team) and the Tampere Howlin' Rolls (the B team), and since early May 2013 Tampere has had a guys team, the Tampere Rollin' Bros. Since the Bros are a small team and one of only two merby teams in Finland, the other being the Sons of Peaches in Helsinki (the Finnish team has players from the Bros as well as Sons of Peaches), they scrimmage a lot with the girls teams; and some of them are even refs, so I see them much more. This is where my connection comes in. I help NSO the Thursday and Friday night scrimmages and the Bros go against the Rolls and Hos quite a bit. I've spent many an hour writing down and timing their penalties, so it was really neat to be watching them at the MRDWC this weekend, even though I have never actually met any of them and they probably have no idea who I am other than maybe as being "the girl that doesn't speak Finnish". Considering that they haven't even been around for a full year yet, the guys did awesome. They only lost one game (it was against team USA who just dominated the entire weekend and won the championship) and managed to finish seventh out of fifteen countries! And not to sell my home country short, Canada achieved third place! Way to go everyone!



Team Canada may have finished third, but I think that they should have gotten first for best logo and best beards

That's it for this week! Other than a bit of St. Patrick's Day festivities tonight, and school, I don't know what is happening this week. Let's wait and see! 

Don't forget to follow me on Tumblr and Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment