Sunday 26 January 2014

Five Good Things This Week

Last week I had three goals for this week and I am proud to say I accomplished all three!

1. I started back at the gym. I hit a tough spot after my horse died last March and got heavy enough that it was starting to affect the way I was walking and it was taking a real toll on me mentally and physically. I lost about twenty-five pounds over the summer, but have put about ten back on because of the realities of student life. I'm finally in a place where I'm feeling motivated enough to get healthy. I'm using an app, which I have to use via Internet because it's still in Beta phase for Windows Phone, called HeiaHeia. It tracks your exercise, has tons of different exercises and sports to chose from, and you can set goals for yourself, not necessarily weight goals but also how many times or hours you want to exercise. I set up a three month program that will start on Monday. I will undoubtedly not be able to follow it as closely some weeks because school will get in the way, but like I said, I'm the most motivated I've ever been to do this and I plan on sticking to it.

2. I finally got some ice skates! All Canadians are birthed from the icy shores of Lake Ontario with hockey skates strapped to their feet and a stick in hand, right? Maybe I'm exaggerating, but my family is a hockey playing family. My dad played for the Ontario Hockey League, and subsequently lost his upper front teeth, and my brother played on an all star team. I have skated since I was three and played hockey collectively for about five years, as well as figuring skating for about four years. I was never that great at either, hockey is the only time I've ever broken a bone, but I am a good skater and I really enjoy it. 
          Finland is wonderful for the fact that ice skating is part of school for kids. In Tampere, there are rinks set up virtually everywhere and I can only think of one that costs money to use. I told my dad this and how I was probably going to rent skates to go once or twice, and he ended up sending me money at Christmas to buy some skates for myself. I fully intended to buy some while I was in Helsinki over Christmas so I could go skating with my mum, but the thought of lugging them plus everything else back to Tampere made me decide against it. This week I finally got to the Intersport at Koskikeskus and got a pair of Easton's for less than sixty euros (yay for sales!). I even got the chance to go skating on Friday at the massive rink by my university (think the size of two football (soccer) fields) and I was on cloud nine for the rest of the day. I'm going to be going skating there as my treat for the week since Fridays are supposed to be about an hour and a half of cardio. I hate cardio; running is no fun, stationary bikes hurt my knees, treadmills are like running purgatory and there are only so many times I can put up with an elliptical. Not only am I going to enjoy doing laps on ice skates, it's going to help immensely with my roller skating and will build up my endurance so that I can skate to and from school with ease come spring time and clean sidewalks. I've also convinced a few of my friends to pick up some skates so we can all have something fun today together!
My new friends. Designed in Canada....made in China
3. I went to a concert Friday night. Everyone knows I love music a lot and it was a large part of why I fell in love with Finland and decided to come live and study here. Hell, music is why I'm in a Master's program! I've missed out on a few concerts since August because of lack of funds, but sometimes it pays to spend a bit of money when you get to hear some good music. JP Leppäluoto was randomly performing at Jack the Rooster, a very nice if not expensive bar, and while I appreciate his voice, I'm not super into the stuff he's done nor have I ever really kept up with what he's done. I have seen him perform at Raskasta Joulua (a yearly series of concerts with Finnish metal musicians performing Christmas songs. It's possibly the best thing ever), and was impressed with that enough to give him a try on Friday night since my flatmate and another friend were going anyways. He managed to start almost a whole hour behind schedule, but the place was packed considering it was not promoted very much. He performed some good covers of mostly 90s songs, but I wanted to get home early and was basically out the door as he started singing Rebel Yell. Other than having to get very sassy with three guys getting all up on my friends and I, and there being an obscene amount of people wearing plaid that night, myself included, it was a fun night spent with good friends.
If you have no clue who I'm talking about, JP used to sing in this band, Poisonblack. While he is a very good singer and I'm sure I would have been into them when I was younger, it's not really my thing anymore. 

4. I got a lot of school work done yesterday. I'm almost done my first research proposal even thought the due date got moved from today to March 9th. With the new due date and being almost done, I can do a properly literature review now. 

5. I had my second walk on a frozen Näsijärvi today. I went out on Näsijärvi, one of the two big lakes that sorta straddles Tampere, when it was frozen back in March 2012 but didn't get too far out. Today some friends and I walked from Särkänniemi, the amusement park, out to the tiny island that has a light house on it and to the shore near Finlayson. I guessing it was about 3km in all, but I'm not sure. There were a ridiculous amount of people doing all sorts of things like walking, skating (there is a specific path you can use to skate across the whole lake), biking (which was weird and a lot of people were doing it), cross country skiing, ice sailing, kiteboarding, and even dogsledding. Clearly Finns know how to deal with winter. After walking we went to the Pyynikki kahvila that is in Keskustori for munkki and coffee. A Sunday well spent!
Tiny light house. More photos on my Flickr and Instagram

Looking towards Särkänniemi. More photos on my Flickr and Instagram


All in all, this week was a good week! I accomplished some goals, got some entertainment, and got outside. Next week I want to do well with my new training program, get ice skating at least twice, and get my research proposal done.

Here's to being positive!


Don't forget to follow me on Instagram, Tumblr, and Flickr!

No comments:

Post a Comment