Tuesday 3 September 2013

Unicorn lake

So I don't know if you know this, if you are reading this blog you probably do know this, but Finland has lakes. A lot of lakes. A fuck ton of lakes. around 200 000 lakes to be a bit more exact (there is even a Finnish lake wiki). Something that you also might not know, Tampere, the city where I currently live and go to school, is in between two good sized lakes, Näsijärvi and Pyhäjarvi, with Tammerkoski connecting the two of them. I think Inari up in northern Finland has around 3000 lakes. Plain and simple, it's not hard to find a lake here. That's why I've sorta taken up a bucket list challenge to visit as many lakes as I can (and when Caitlin gets her butt back to her homeland, we will visit as many as we can and jump in all of them). On Saturday I found one of the lakes closest to my flat, with the help of one of my new friends, and it was a really lovely place, just a 20 minute or so walk from where we live. It was actually right near a mess of apartments and there is a football pitch on the other side of the trees from it but once you get there, you sort of forget that there is a Koti Pizza and S Market around the corner. My friend said it best when we finally found it on Saturday (we got a bit turned around) "so where are the unicorns?". The place looked like something from Middle Earth (I was hoping Legolas or Haldir would pop out somewhere.....maybe atop the previously mentioned unicorn? A girl can dream) and just so quiet. As someone who grew up in a rather quiet small town but just spent 4 months living at the Harbourfront in downtown Toronto, I really did miss silence in the outside world. While it was wonderful to find the lake, I was sad I didn't have my camera working. I know I've got people back home that have never been to Finland before that I want to show how beautiful Finland is, and also people back home that have never been to Finland and really want to go so I really do try to take pictures whenever I can. And I absolutely love taking pictures, especially of places like Isolammi. But I couldn't take my camera because my memory card had decided to protest and not work correctly. THANKFULLY, Anttila (a department store. sort of like a more upscale Wal-Mart) was having a sale and I manage to get an 8GB card for 10 euros! Once I snagged that I went back to Isolammi and snapped as many pictures as I could! We've been granted some really nice weather lately (minus the cold rain ona Sunday) and the sunset tonight was wonderful; there was some lovely pink colours coming off the lake. I think my friend and I are gonna try to find Kaukajärvi this weekend, which is a much bigger lake past Isolammi, and I'll be sure to take pictures there. For now enjoy some pictures from Isolammi. Please don't use the pictures unless you have permission from me. All photos were taken by me, lilacviking at Isolammi in Kaukajärvi, Tampere, Finland on September 2, 2013.









BOOM you even get a picture of me being a daredevil by sitting on branch over the lake. I did not fall in


Remember! You can follow me on Tumblr (which I update much more) and Instagram (which is not currently being used as I still haven't gotten a new smartphone) both under the username lilacviking

If you have any questions about living and studying in Finland, feel free to leave a comment on this blog or send me an ask on Tumblr (I have my anonymous ask turned on so you really shouldn't be afraid to ask. Rude people will be eaten though, keep that in mind)




No comments:

Post a Comment